AARP Foundation Tax-Aide: Important Documents to Bring to the Tax-Aide Site
from: AARP Foundation, Updated December 2016
More information about this program can be found at AARP's website.
The checklist below includes items you need to bring when you visit an AARP Foundation Tax-Aide site for us to help you prepare your tax return(s)
- Last year's tax return(s)
- Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and every individual on your return.
- Photo I.D. required for all taxpayers.
- Checkbook if you want to direct deposit any refund(s).
- W-2 from each employer
- Unemployment compensation statements
- SSA-1099 Form showing the total Social Security benefits paid to you for the year, or Form RRB-1099, Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits
- 1099 Forms reporting interest (1099-INT), dividends (1099-DIV), proceeds from sales (1099-B), as well as documentation showing the original purchase price of your sold assets
- 1099-R Form if you received a pension, annuity, or IRA distribution
- 1099-MISC Forms
- Information about other forms of Income
- State or local income tax refunds
All forms and canceled checks indicating federal and state income tax paid (including quarterly estimated tax payments)
Most taxpayers have a choice of taking either a standard deduction or itemizing their deductions. If you have a substantial amount of deductions, you may want to itemize. You will need to bring the following information:
- 1098 Form showing any home mortgage interest
- A list of medical/dental expenses (including doctor and hospital bills and medical insurance premiums), a list of prescription medicines, costs of assisted living services, and bills for home improvements such as ramps and railings for people with disabilities
- Summary of contributions to charity
- Receipts or canceled checks for all quarterly or other paid tax
- Property Tax bills and proof of payment
- Health Insurance
- 1095A Forms if you purchased insurance through the Marketplace (Exchange)
- 1095B/1095C Forms (if applicable)
- Any exemption correspondence from the Marketplace (if applicable)
- Dependent care provider information (name, employer ID, or Social Security number)
- 1098-T and 1098-E Forms (Tuition and Student Loan Interest)